NOTICE: This website is no longer updated, as the Decade of Difference initiative has reached its sunset date. Relevant information has been transferred to the main HCOE site.

CalGrants and the Chafee Grant

Cal Grants are one of the smartest ways to get cash for college. For starters, it's money you don't have to pay back. For more information, visit

Related Links

The Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant is free money for current or former California foster youth to help pay for college or career and technical training. Chafee Grants don’t have to be paid back. You may also use your grant to pay for child care, rent and transportation while you’re in school.

A Chafee Grant is a federal and state funded grant subject to yearly availability of fundsĀ  It provides up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college and can be used at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

Related Links

Decade of Difference Tagline Decade of Difference Tagline