Work as a Cal-SOAP Tutor!
Cal-SOAP is currently recruiting college students to work part time in the local middle and high schools, in Del Norte and Humboldt Counties, as Academic and College Access Tutors for the academic school year. Pay starts at $13/hour. Paid training is provided, and we will work around your school schedule. This is great experience for anyone planning to go into teaching, social work, youth advocacy or other field that involves working with adolescent children. Apply today and make a difference in the lives of the students you work with!
Tutors meet with students in classrooms, afterschool homework centers or in college/career centers and provide academic tutoring and/or college/career advisement. They encourage students to be academically successful and to set realistic goals for pursuing higher education. Tutors are supervised by Site Coordinators, usually a high school counselor or other administrator, and overseen by a Cal-SOAP College and Career Services Technician.
Tutoring Sites include: Crescent Elk Middle School, Del Norte High School, Eureka High School, Ferndale Elementary, Ferndale High School, Fortuna Middle School, Toddy Thomas Middle School, Fortuna Union High School, South Bay Charter, Hoopa Valley High School, McKinleyville Middle School, Pacific Union Elementary School, Sunny Brae Middle School, Six Rivers Charter School, Arcata High School, Zane Middle School, and Zoe Barnum High School.
- Have completed at least one semester of college
- Be enrolled at least half time in a college or other post-secondary school as an undergraduate or graduate student (half time is 6 units for undergraduate and 3 units for graduate, per semester.)
- Have financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Ability to meet with students, at least twice per week for a min. 2.5 hr. block of time, during their school day
- Ability and desire to be a positive role model for students
- Strong communication skills
- Reliable transportation
- A record of dependable work attendance
- Strengths preferred: Algebra and Geometry, or higher math
Down the complete tutor job description and application today! Call the Cal-SOAP office at (707) 441-2006 for more information.